Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Empty Chair on Amazon



Recently, the first story that I wrote and felt good about, The Empty Chair, became available on Amazon for Kindle. I’m not normally a great big fan of self-publishing, but I think it’s a great arena for short stories.


The first thing you’ll notice is the cool-looking cover. I know, I’d be jealous, too. I believe there are right and wrong ways to do things, and one of the wrong ways happens to be designing your own cover in a paint program and then splattering it all over the web.


I emailed her the story and had a cover the very next day. One minor tweak and I was good to go. Heck, I liked the cover so much it’s my avatar on many forums, and also my desktop image.

The story is about an aging chess grandmaster who isolates himself in a cabin to study for an upcoming match against an old rival. He soon finds that he’s in for more than just a chess competition when supernatural forces show themselves at the cabin.

No, it isn’t horror, not by a long shot. Rather, it’s the lighthearted tale of our grandmaster, Orren, and his daily routine at the cabin.

There just happens to be eerie stuff thrown in.

There are no chainsaws, no zombies, no flesh-eating wolves standing tall as Mack trucks. But there’s eeriness, oh yes. Just enough to keep you on this side of uncomfortable.

You don’t need to be a die-hard chess fan, either, to appreciate the story. While chess is the main theme, it isn’t the story itself. I fully believe that any reader, chess player or not, will be able to enjoy The Empty Chair. And heck, for only a dollar, who could pass it up? Secure your copy today and settle in for a read. You might be glad you did, and I know I would.

No comments: