Friday, November 28, 2014

Gobble gobble, Go to work


Yep, I worked Thanksgiving. I don’t care, truly. I don’t have kids, I don’t know how to cook and besides, Eliza worked yesterday, too, so I spent the afternoon fumbling through YouTube keyboard lessons and playing chess. Alone. I’m good with it. I’m one of the rarities who doesn’t mind spending time with nobody. I’m odd like that.

But really, holidays, most of 'em, are for families and children. None of my family was celebrating yesterday, either, because they were also working, and we have no kids, so the day was just another Thursday for this hack. Oh, sure, I would rather have had the whole day off but then again, that’s any Thursday, so there’s nothing special.

I know, I know, you are wondering what I did for Thanksgiving dinner. My holiday feast consisted of four slices of reheated pizza, a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos, an orange soda, and an obscene amount of big-ass marshmallows. The way I see it, I simply avoided the Tryptophan coma, which is probably a myth, anyhow. I’m a natural skeptic.

So yes, I tested batteries and sold brake pads and stocked shelves and gave passwords this Thanksgiving. Things could have been worse. I could have dug ditches or been homeless or choked on my Jack in the Box lunch. There’s always a silver lining. Besides, I made a little jingle, and jingle always helps out.

I watched Janis Joplin interviews after work, I played some bullet chess, I listened to piano stuff on YouTube, and then I wrapped the night up watching full stand-up comedy acts and laughing to the pets. Oh god I’m lonely. I kid, I kid. Save me.

Anyhow, I hope y'all had a great Thanksgiving and Black Friday isn’t gonna pound your ass into the ground like it will mine. Actually, I’m not sure it’ll be so bad at the auto store. It’ll be better than what the poor saps at Wal-Mart will have to deal with. Lawzy, I can’t even imagine that.

*shivers*

1 comment:

Unknown said...

LOL! I see nothing wrong with your Thanksgiving, Derek. If I didn't have any kids and the family wasn't celebrating I'm sure mine would have been quite similar. Actually come to think of it, I seem to recall a couple of my teen years when my family did nothing. *shrugs* Such is life. :)