Saturday, March 24, 2012

Band Practice #2 - Going Well!

So, the band I mentioned a few posts ago practiced again yesterday, and we had a blast. It was really neat to drum along to songs I hadn’t heard in a decade. Apparently, my memory is still okay because I surprised myself at how well I still knew the arrangements.

Original band post can be found here:

http://derekodom.blogspot.com/2012/02/good-jam.html

It was a grueling, long and semi-hot day, too, and the process is always the same: begin drumming lightly and with style so that you can preserve energy, but a few songs in, begin playing hard and getting tricky because you are warmed up and having fun. It’s tiring on the body to be a rock drummer.

The funny thing about this genre of music is that not a single song of it was in my listening repertoire as a kid. I have never been a classic rock or a big blues fan and yet, I play classic rock and blues. If it were up to me, we’d play Skid Row, old Metallica, Poison, Cinderella, Steelheart, Kix, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, A-Ha, Danger Danger, Tesla, Motley Crue, Warrant, and Winger. Of course, there’s zero market for those bands today, so it looks as if I’m assed-out.

Anyhow, I just got to reflecting how odd it is that not only was I completely introduced to an entire genre by this group of fellas, but that I eventually got pretty good at playing it. The music has a certain “feel” that once you get hold of, makes the songs easier to learn and play. I’d still rather be wearing leather pants and bouncing my sticks off the floor toms while some dude with a blonde wig and a real high voice blasts out “Still of the Night” by Whitesnake, but the classic rock bit is still a lot of fun.

If you could play any genre of music and any instrument in the world, what would they be?

No comments: